Monday, April 16, 2012

Helen Lee's 'Window' to joy

Nadine Kam photos
One of Helen Lee's models waits back stage prior to the start of the designer's fashion show April 14 during Shanghai Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2012 at Taipingqiao Park in Xintiandi. This was one of many shows in which the models wore the color of the year orange eye shadow.

Designer Helen Lee said several bad things have happened to her, and friends, over the past couple of years, but out of tragedy came "Window," a bouyant, triumphant collection in which the designer has chosen optimism over defeat.

The designer showed her collection on April 14, Day 4 of Shanghai Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2012. Her "Window" show was dedicated to a friend whose leg was lost in an accident. They went to church together to pray for her recovery and while there, the designer was inspired by stained glass windows that offered hope and cheer.

During a post-show interview, the designer said, "I know my collection comes from a sad story, but it's meant to be encouraging and heart-warming. You can see from the colors and the textures shown. I want to tell people, whatever you go through, please be optimistic. I personally went through a lot of sad things in the last two years, but my gift to myself and all my friends is to cherish life. I want my designs to have a positive energy."


Non-flash video link

Designer Helen Lee with her models after the show.

Designer Helen Lee, with one of her models, greeted well-wishers after the show.

Models lined up prior to the show.

Cozy sweaters were meant to convey joy and warmth.

Lee's "Window" collection included this sweater dress, with pukas revealing a stained glass-like print dress peeking from beneath.

Note the models' shoes. Helen is working with a Western brand to introduce her own line of shoes.




I loved her collection of color-blocked wool coats.


The jewelry and ensemble notes back stage.

After the show and interviews I was led over to Helen Lee's store-within-a-store at DBHK in the Xintiandi Style mall for a reception.


In the small world category, Hawaii's Richie Miao's ISM shop is right next to Helen's!

No comments:

Post a Comment