Monday, January 24, 2011

Rules meant to be broken



Nadine Kam photo

Sooo ... after the Golden Globes I made a snarky comment about Helena Bonham Carter's mismatched red and green shoes, and then, I recently had lunch at Big City Diner, where I was sitting near a Japanese tourist wearing these multi-color Converse All-Stars, and I thought that was so fun!

Whiplash!

That just goes to show you how confusing the fashion "rules" can be to the average person who might be thinking how can I not like something one day, and like it the next???

It's mostly a difference in context, a casual restaurant setting, vs. what is supposedly a glamorous venue. Some people want to make a different kind of statement or grab some attention, that's fine, but in that case, Helen didn't go far enough. The shoes in themselves were not fabulous and made no statement save for calling attention to their color difference.

I'm sure it matters not a bit to her, and chutzpah is its own kind of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment