Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday morning confessional


Nadine Kam photos
Kristian Lei with a glittering Buddha that was a gift for party hosts Eric Chander, left, and Takeo.


Like every reporter, I started in news before gravitating to music because musicians are just cuter than politicians. What I learned was how little control the young musicians, at the time, had over their lives. They would wake up and be told where to go, who to talk to and when, so they never had to worry about logistics and could focus on their craft.

I don’t know if I could live that way because I like structure and knowing what I’m doing from one day to the next. But a lot of times I don’t know what I’m getting myself into either. I get these nebulous calls that end with, “Come  OK?” And, being mostly agreeable, I go, “OK,” without knowing much about said event. For one thing, people who call reporters assume we might be on deadline, so they try to spit out details in 30 seconds.
So when 2Couture designer Takeo called last week, I got the sketchiest outline: Noon. Sunday. Tea at 1024. Kristian Lei. Dress. Wear a hat.

Yesterday morning, I wasn’t sure how to dress or if I really heard instructions to wear a hat. I was looking at my Miss Catwings green animal spot and skull hat. Too much? I had nothing to wear with it, so I just stuck on a headband. Then I was sad when I got there because everyone was wearing a fabulous hat, and there are so few hat-wearing occasions in town that when such an event happens you don’t let it go to waste!
The event had many occasions rolled into one. It was mainly a homecoming for Kristian Lei, who’s been in Hong Kong performing in “The Lion King.”

It was also an introduction of Miss Hawaii USA Angela Byrd and MissTeen Hawaii USA Courtney Coleman, and belated birthday party for Desiree Mitsunaga, and just a way for Takeo and fellow designer Eric Chandler to celebrate the new year with the women who inspire them.

There were informal contests for best dressed, best hat, best shoes and best overall look, and love-life confessions that we all vowed would not leave that room (oh, that rascally Eric!) … Though I don’t know, Pamela Young taped all! You can see her news segment here: http://www.kitv.com/video/26421504/detail.html



Blossom Tyau, left, with Pamela Young, who won the Best Hat competition of the day. Blossom surprised Pamela with some photos out of her past, when she was a Cathay Capers dancer, below.

You know it must have been a little out of hand when Pamela Young ends up on floored by Iwalani Tseu's love-life confession.

Miss Hawaii USA Angela Byrd and Miss Hawaii Teen USA Courtney Coleman.


Esther Nakamura lights a candle for birthday girl Desiree Mitsunaga, with Takeo.


Tea at 1024 owner Michele Henry with Angela, being photographed by Kristian Lei.





Emily Lopez-Goyne was the best shoe winner.

I loved Kitty Wo's hat.

In calmer mode, Iwalani Tseu, right, with Leilani Keough.

Eric pours wine for, from left, Vivien Stackpole, Jackie Takeshita, Marian Morrison and Anna Meng.

Esther Nakamamura kept food coming amidst the chaos.

Tea service began with our choice of teacups, and hats if we forgot to wear one.

A sweet finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment