Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ivanka on business and pending mommyhood



Nadine Kam photo
Ivanka Trump on the balcony of the Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk earlier today, just after our interview.

Ivanka Trump was in town Feb. 16 to discuss the Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk, Trump Hotel Collection and their brand’s commitment to Hawaii.

I wasn’t sure about going because those are topics generally covered by our business section. I just knew it could be uncomfortable in that kind of press conference situation when all the reporters are typically on point, then comes this one person from an offbeat publication asking an out-of-left-field question that sets everyone in the room groaning because for journalists, one bad question is time wasted in these limited-time situations. In this case, I would have been the oddball asking about her dress or pregnancy. Yikes!

It turned out the press conference was all of about 5 or 10 minutes, then she made time for individual interviews, so I could ask all those lifestyle questions in private. Yay!

I had about 10 minutes with the gracious Ms. Trump, who I’ve always admired for using her intellect instead of her blondness and other physical attributes to get ahead. She always comes across as a tough, strong, workaholic, when she could have just as easily grown up to be a spoiled brat, content to spend daddy’s or some Ivy League beau’s money.

I’ve been intrigued by her ever since I saw her Ivanka Trump Collection jewelry store on Madison Avenue three years ago. I was staring through the glass doors, and the security guard opened it and staffers were trying to beckon me in, but I didn’t want to waste anyone’s time, so declined.

I liked the idea that she was doing her own thing, separate from her famous father, Donald Trump. Since then, she’s moved on to shoes as well, and I asked her about how she balances her own business endeavors with that of the family, and her pending motherhood.

She said she doesn’t often think about balance beyond trying to avoid overtaxing herself, though her idea of overtaxing may be different from most individuals’.

Her whirlwind 24-hour hop to Hawaii was a good example. From here, she’s heading for more work in Panama, then, L.A., before heading home to New York, a three-day work trip.

She said, “Balance is a funny thing. It doesn't mean that much to me. When I haven’t slept in three days it’s because I’m trying to accomplish something or I’m working on a deal.”

I asked her whether she got her work ethic from her dad or mom Ivana, and she said, “Some of it is who you are, some of it is your environment. My parents are both very driven, very motivated people and that transferred. My brothers are the same way.”

And so is her husband, Jared Kushner, publisher of the New York Observer, who also has real estate interests.


IvankaTrumpCollection.com

Ivanka said her work as Executive Vice President of Development & Acquisitions for the Trump Hotel Collection trumps her other fashionable pursuits, but she said everything she does creates synergy for the brand, making cross-promotions possible. “It’s all luxury, very exclusive and I view it all as enhancing the lifestyle brand my father created.”

Ivanka said she hasn’t given much thought as to how her duties might change once her baby arrives in July. “You don’t know until you know,” she said.

She hasn’t to her mom about what to expect, either, saying, “It seems real but it doesn’t feel quite so imminent yet.”
But she fully expects to be on her feet and back in the boardroom quickly, already scheduling meetings a week-and-a-half after her due date. “We’ll see, check back with me in July.”


My last question came in the form of a note delivered to me as I was sitting, waiting for my interview. Malie Moran of Hawaii Red Magazine had to know who designed her dress. So I asked. The feminine, drape-front LBD is the creation of Jerry Seinfeld’s long-ago amour Shoshanna. Ivanka’s jewelry and pumps were from her own collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment