Monday, February 21, 2011

Sunday on set

Nadine Kam photos
Calli Wagner in an Armani Collezioni gown from Nordstrom. Click here for video.

Kyle Kagamida's been assisting me on HI Luxury shoots, so when he put together a shoot on Feb. 20, I returned the favor. Sort of. Mostly I sat around and observed him at work. He just got accepted into FIDM and is working to build up his stylist's portfolio before he leaves.

Strangely enough, he's also a gifted culinary student at Kapiolani Community College and will earn his degree this summer, but after enrolling in the program, decided restaurant work isn't for him. It's hot and messy, though he says that in the kitchen, he's the only one who manages to keep his whites clean. Since starting to do styling work, he's discovered it's also hot and messy and grueling, but in this case, he said, "I'm crawling on the floor, tying on girls shoes, I don't care. I love it."

A lot of girls have asked to assist me over the past few years, but I usually take one look at their long nails and high heels and decide they're just gonna be set decoration without lightening my load, but with Kyle I felt an instant trust. He has a great instinct so I never have to tell him what to do next.

So then I'm sitting around on his set and he goes, "Nadine, look how long your nails are. How can you even pull up a zipper?" Touché!

Sunday's shoot had a retro glamour theme, reflecting Kyle's passion for red carpet style. I just know he's moving to L.A. to be closer to Rachel Zoe, who's always seems to be looking for new assistants to replace those who eventually strike out on their own.

Model Calli Wagner in Jessica Hoffman's makeup chair, with Brandise Brookington working on her hair, Marc Edwards shooting video and stylist Kyle Kagamida overseeing all.

The shooter was Daniela Voicescu, a model-turned-photographer who's also building her portfolio. And videotaping the proceedings was Marc Edwards, who with his brother Michael Anthony, is working on a video series, "Artist You," celebrating Hawaii's creatives in all genres, including music, dance, visual arts and fashion. A few segments can be seen with an Artist You search on Facebook, but they're aiming to be on television by year's end.

The shooter is model-turned-photographer Daniela Voicescu. Click here for a brief video interview on how she got started.

Kyle shows a fun and flirty Oscar de la Renta crochet dress from Nordstrom. The dress would be worn later that day by Jusine Godfrey, who spent the morning modeling at Neiman Marcus.


Photos from Daniela's  model's portfolio. Over 10 years, she worked all across Europe and Asia, including Beijing, below.


 Calli in Lanvin from Nordstrom, with vintage Chanel purse from Pzazz.

Calli in a video still, wearing Gaultier Soleil.

Calli in a video still wearing a vintage dress from Pzazz.

The shoes were a mix from Nordstrom and Kyle's collection.

Makeup artist Jessica Hoffman found time for fun in front of the camera, with a Forever21 floral accessory that doubles as a hat.

Kyle had given me a general warehouse address without the specific unit number, and having forgotten my phone, I had to walk around the complex to find the right place. I spotted the clothes hangers through this door and knew I had found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment